Code REDD Empowering People, Preserving Forests, and Protecting Wildlife

 

MJUMITA Community Forest Project (Lindi)

Project Brief

The MJUMITA Community Forest Project protects 41,924 ha of East African Coastal Forest in Southeast Tanzania. The forests provide habitat for many threatened animal and plant species including the Rondo dwarf galago, African elephant, leopard and plain-backed sunbird. The project is implemented by 10 rural communities who have elected to protect the forest on their traditional village land rather than clearing it for agriculture. Each community has established a village forest reserve to protect their forest and its biodiversity. All residents of the village are ‘shareholders’ in the project with an equal right to dividends generated from the sale of Stand For Trees credits. When you buy credits from the MJUMITA project your purchase provides direct benefits to every woman, man and child in the 10 communities as well as paying for the costs of managing the forests and their unique biodiversity.

Project Impacts

  • Endangered Animals

    Endangered Animals

    The core of the project area is East African Coastal Forest, a biologically rich and highly threatened habitat. In just 10 years from 1990 – 2000, one third of the remaining Tanzanian coastal forest was cleared, mainly for agriculture. The project area provides habitat for the Rondo Dwarf Galago, a Critically Endangered nocturnal primate and three Endangered plant species. African Elephant, leopard and lion also use the forests.

  • Economic Development

    Economic Development

    Lindi is one of the poorest and most under developed regions in Tanzania, but forest conservation is helping to change that. Project villages retain at least 60% of the price they receive from carbon credit sales. They pay the remaining 40% to cover the cost of verification under VCS and CCB standards, agricultural extension services, sales and marketing. Most of the participating villages pay cash payments to everyone in the village (mothers collect payments for their children), which allows community members to spend their income as best suits their needs. So far, about 40% of households have spent income investing in new businesses or improving their farm productivity. The project is also improving the local economy by providing agriculture extension services that help farmers improve farm productivity.

  • Community

    Community

    The project has helped communities establish land-use plans, village forest reserves and systems for managing revenue from sustainable forest use and carbon credits. Most communities chose to spend a proportion of their carbon credit earnings on community level development projects, including investments in schools, health clinics, and water sources.

  • Education

    Education

    Communities spend earnings on building additional primary school classrooms, school desks, and books. Additionally, most households spend a majority of the revenue generated from Stand For Trees credits on food, school uniforms, and secondary school fees for their children.

  • Water

    Water

    Conserving forests helps communities protect water sources and several participating villages have used a portion their earnings to improve access to clean water for communities.

  • CCBA Certification

    CCBA Certification

    The MJUMITA Community Forest Project (Lindi), due to the project's exceptional benefits in terms of climate adaptation, community development and biodiversity conservation, the project has obtained triple gold level status under the 3rd edition of the Community Biodiversity and Climate Standards (CCB).

  • VCS Certification

    VCS Certification

    The MJUMITA Community Forest Project (Lindi) has been validated and verified under the Verified Carbon Standard.

About the Project Developer

  • MJUMITA

    MJUMITA is a network of thousands of community members from over 400 villages across Tanzania. We provide our members with technical assistance regarding forest management, governance, and advocacy.