View the full newsletter here.
We are pleased to announce that as of October 1, 2013, Code REDD is expanding our membership platform. In order to advance our mission to support and scale the REDD+ mechanism to realize its full potential to empower people, preserve forests, protect wildlife, and reduce emissions, we must evolve into a financially independent, member-supported organization. Please contact Kate Dillon Levin (kate at coderedd dot org) for any questions regarding membership opportunities. With your support we look forward to ensuring the growth and success of REDD+!
Code REDD Activities for 2013-2014
Code REDD works to tackle the challenges the REDD+ industry faces, playing a unique and vital role in advancing REDD+ through the following programs:
- Code REDD’s Corporate Engagement Program is engaging corporations on REDD+ through education, awareness, and value communication, thereby reducing the perception of risk and encouraging corporate support for and participation in REDD+.
- Code REDD’s Policy Alignment Program aligns and builds support for REDD+ within climate policies, environmental & integrated reporting, and development priorities.
- Code REDD’s REDD+ Community Stakeholder Platform is building, uniting, and advancing the global REDD+ community in order to catalyze collaboration, innovation, and action so that REDD+ may achieve its full potential.
Read more about this quarters Publications, Events, and Outreach here.
New regulations in the United Kingdom regarding corporate reporting of greenhouse gas emissions were approved by Parliament on July 17, 2013.
- Starting October 2013, all quoted companies must measure and report GHG emissions for which they are responsible. Companies that fall under the regulation are all UK incorporated companies that are listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange, a European Economic Area market, or whose shares are dealing on the New York Stock Exchange or NASDAQ.
- Although no prescribed methodology for calculating a company’s carbon footprint is specifically required, the report must include absolute and relative data (i.e. emissions/unit). Trends in impacts must be made clear, and companies must note progress against targets. GHGs will be reported in tonnes of Co2e, and includes scope one and two emissions.
- For more information on the regulations, see chapter two of the Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs report: Environmental Reporting Guidelines: Including mandatory greenhouse gas emissions reporting guidance.
California is still considering whether to include REDD+ credits from partner jurisdictions in the state’s Cap and Trade Program. Although the legislative session will not reconvene until January 7th, 2014, we will continue to fight for the inclusion of REDD+ in California’s marketplace.
- Currently, we are working with other major environmental groups in the state to continue promoting awareness and education of REDD+ impacts and benefits.
Code REDD Project Updates
- The Paiter Suruí people of the Amazon announced on September 10, 2013 that cosmetics giant Natura Cosméticos has purchased 120,000 tons of carbon offsets from the Suruí Forest Carbon Project in Brazil.
- The Oddar Meanchey REDD+ Project in Cambodia (implemented by Terra Global Capital and other partners) is the first in the world to complete verification of emission reductions to VCS and all three Gold levels under the CCB standard.
- The community-owned Kariba REDD+ Project (developed by South Pole Carbon and Carbon Green Africa) based in northern Zimbabwe issued credits for the first time on September 12, 2013.
- The credits from Wildlife Conservation Society’s Makira REDD+ project in Madagascar are now for sale– becoming the first credits available on the voluntary carbon market that were generated by an African government-owned project.
Submissions & Sign-up
Please send any submissions or project updates to Gina Angiolillo (gina at coderedd dot org), Code REDD’s Communications Coordinator, for inclusion in next quarter’s newsletter. We also welcome new member referrals.
You can sign-up to receive future newsletters via email below.
We look forward to keeping you updated!